Skaters enrolled in CompetitiveSkate learn a variety of life skills as they progress up the competitive ladder.
These include goal setting, focus, ability to deal with success/failure, time management and principles of fair play and sportsmanship. In addition to the life skill benefits, skaters in this program receive:
- Access to provincial and national funding programs (as applicable)
- The opportunity to be selected to Skate Canada’s National Team
- The opportunity to compete at Skate Canada Sectionals, Skate Canada Challenge, and/or the Canadian Figure Skating Championships
- Opportunity and potential to be selected to represent Canada internationally
- Access to sport science services
The Junior Academy program is a program designed for skaters who plan to pursue competitive free skating. Skaters are invited to join this session to enhance their training in anticipation of competing in the near future. Skaters on this session must demonstrate dedication and a continual commitment to their training. Their main focus should be on developing and expanding their FreeSkate abilities.
Junior Academy skaters should be moving towards becoming a Competitive figure skater in their respective StarSkate / CompetitiveSkate category. Skaters on this session will participate in 1 specific training day (Thursdays) in addition to at least one other SCBC StarSkate session, however skaters at this level are strongly encouraged to take additional training days (on top of the two-day requirement) to complement their development.
*Must select at least one other SCBC StarSkate session per week.*
Session Fees Include:
- 1 group lesson, to be led by an SCBC Professional Coach.
- This 15-minute lesson will occur during the first 15 minutes of the session.
- This group lesson is available to all skaters on the session and is already included in your registration fee; however, participation on a daily basis may be affected periodically by the “private lesson” schedule set out by your skater’s base coach.
- Off Ice Classes
- Fitness & Conditioning
- Off Ice Jump Class
All Junior Academy skaters must have a SCBC contracted coach for private lessons. In some cases, it may in the best interest of the skater to have multiple coaches (coaching team) to cover all technical aspects of the skater’s development.
GUEST SKATING is NOT permitted on this session, without the pre-approval of the SCBC Board, on the recommendation of the Skater Assessment Committee.
It is the expectation that all Junior Academy skaters will be competing in Skate Ontario sanctioned events throughout the year.
For more information on this program please contact our Operations Coordinator at email@example.com.
Registration for all programs will open on Wednesday, August 24th at 9:00am.
**Skaters are reminded to check in with their Base coach prior to registering for sessions to confirm availability**
If I Participate in the Competitive Program, is that All I Can Do?